Tuesday, January 5, 2010

When all else fails . . .

go on vacation! For those of you barely in the know, as I've been too crazy busy with life to keep in touch, my sweet husband has taken a few months off work to contemplate life. He is an avid sailer (at least was pre wife and kids), and has been chomping at the bit to get back out on the water with the kids to teach them a love of sailing. I have an extensive number of boating hours clocked from my own youth, so time afloat is time well spent in my eyes - but imagine the look on my face when we were discussing taking a week off, just the two of us, to regroup after Xmas and plan for the next few months, and he said "Let's just take the kids with us." Granted, 24/7 child care does not come cheap when you have no other option but to use a babysitting service, but a week on a sail boat with a 4 and 6 year old? My anxiety had already peaked to an unhealthy level with the post Xmas transition, so I was in a less than optimum state of mind to contemplate three flights and life at sea . . . however, over the course of 48 hrs and multiple pro/con lists, I am genuinely excited to report that we are leaving FREEZING Dallas for the BVI to do nothing but lay back, island hop, snorkel and explore. Most of our time will be anchored in a bay somewhere with only a few hours under sail per day, so it isn't as bad as initial the thought of being trapped in a closet with 2 kids for a week. The kids are over the moon excited, with one believing she may actually turn in to a mermaid once her legs hit the sea water, and the other asking if he can be a pirate on his "aventure". When I ask little man what he is most excited about regarding the trip, he repeatedly replies "Seeing my bed, and no one better disturb me when I'm having my naps." Ah yes, spoken like a true son of mine! Then again, this is the same kid who at 3 spent most of his time at the resort in Mexico lounging on beach chairs and sipping "drinks." If you don't hear from us after Feb. 1, perhaps we've decided just not to come home . . . the real world if far over rated!

No comments:

Post a Comment